We use semantic versioning for our product. Minor and Patch versions are updated automatically, major versions require manual update steps.
The reason for this is that our apps contain references to our CDN where we have a path for every major version. We try to release minor/patch versions whenever possible. However if we internally upgrade to a newer version of SPFx, a major update is required.
Required Upgrade Steps
When a new minor version is released, the changes will be pushed automatically to your tenant. No action is required on your side.
When a new major version is released, you must download and (re)install the newest apps as well as recreate the hub.aspx page. You can do this by following these steps:
- Download app sources:
- Update both app packages in the app store of your tenant. Be sure to drag and drop them one by one, as otherwise SharePoint will not behave correctly.
- Head to the site collection hosting your intranet
- Remember/copy/export/backup all web parts you have added manually to this page.
- Delete the hub.aspx from the pages library.
- Reactivate the "LiveTiles Intranet Hub Landing Page" feature in "Manage site features". This will recreate the hub.aspx and add the LiveTiles Intranet Hub Web Part.
- Readd any other web parts.
- Save (and publish) the page.